Our Artist of the Month is actually a duo - the dream team of Kenneth Poirier and KT Goeke of Place & Time!
Kenneth Poirier is a Portland based graphic designer and illustrator with a love of classic advertising, and KT, who grew up in Germany before relocating to the Pacific NorthWest, currently works as a bank manager and is pursuing a MBA. They met at a community event in 2014 where she was representing US Bank and Kenneth was promoting his previous art print business.
Their paths crossed many times afterwards as they were both serving on boards of local organizations. Immediately drawn to his talent, KT contacted Kenneth and began featuring his artwork on the walls of her bank branch. Eventually Kenneth and KT decided to join forces and utilize his artistic talent and her marketing skills to create ‘Place & Time’.
Blending gorgeous color and intricate detail, the work of Place & Time is a heartfelt shout out to Oregon as well as the vintage posters and tourism adverts of the Art Nouveau period. From their glossy postcards to their ready-to-hang rugged wood prints on solid hemlock planks, their work sells fast to locals as well as visitors.
Check out http://placeandtimedesign.com/ for more info and come into the shop to get an up close and personal look at Place & Time’s beautiful handiwork.
Crafty Wonderland is a woman-owned retail store in downtown Portland featuring the work of over 200 local artists. We are looking for a part-time retail sales associate, with the potential for full-time employment and the opportunity for other positions as our business grows.
If you are interested in applying, please read the details below then email the following three items to craftywonderland[at]yahoo.com:
1.) a cover letter detailing why you are a good fit for our team
2.) a current resume
3.) a list of 3 references
You may also drop printed copies off at our retail store during business hours but please do not call our store with any inquiries! We are busy providing our customers with exquisite service!
The ideal candidate:
- Has a minimum of 2 years experience working retail
- Provides excellent customer service
- Is able to work in fast paced environment and multi-task with accuracy
- Understands that the customers come first
- Is friendly, personable, and upbeat
- Has knowledge and an interest in handmade goods and art
- Is able to execute loss prevention protocol
- Is comfortable answering questions and dealing with a diverse range of people
- Follows directions and asks for clarification if needed
- Is a quick learner
- Is able to work as a part of a team
- Is punctual, reliable, and respectful
- Must be available to work weekends
- A flexible schedule to cover other shifts is necessary
- No additional time off is granted between Black Friday and Christmas
JOB TASKS INCLUDE:
- Assisting customers
- Ringing up sales on our cash register / POS system
- Opening and closing the store
- Keeping the store tidy with light cleaning and straightening
- Restocking sold items
- Merchandising + displays
- Receiving, entering + tagging new merchandise
- Helping with social media as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Starting pay $12/hour.
June’s Artist of the Month is none other than Tripper Dungan - so put on your 3D glasses and get your mind blown!
Tripper originally hails from California but he’s been part of the local art scene in Portland since 2002. Locals have probably seen Tripper’s work on the cover of the Mercury or if you’re lucky, you’ve been able to visit interactive installations such as Lookie House!
Tripper wants his art to make you laugh and feel happy - so if cats holding hot dogs or eating tacos, bears combing their hair, wiener-mobiles, and grinning cassette tapes do the trick for you then you’ve got to come check out the feature wall of Tripper’s work! People in the shop love interacting with his work by seeing it in 3D. Take a peep at the new t-shirt designs and rad sticker packs as well as distinctive enamel pins that will have you truly upping your pin game!
Get to know Ruth the Tooth, the spunky heroine of Tripper’s brand new book The Real Story of Ruth the Tooth! This bright and snazzy book comes with ChromaDepth 3D glasses and a read-along record voiced by Tripper himself, along with his wife and daughter. The story features a cast of colorful characters such as Rip Van Winkle and the Tooth Fairy! Every page is fantastically illustrated, and the tale is adventurous and funny.
Read our Q&A with Tripper to learn more about future projects and other things from the inside of his head!
What do you predict for your business in the future?
At this moment right now I'm not totally sure. I have a lot of interest and directions I am inspired to go in. I'm coming out with a 3D book/vinyl record project I've been working on for a half year now. And there's going to be a lot of promotion going on with that. I have a childhood dream of building a mini golf resort that is still in the planning stages. I have plans to start a secret space cult (shhhhh). I'm sure it will be more of the same as well though.
What do you predict for the art/maker world in general?
It's an interesting time right now. It feels like a lot of things are changing in the world. On one hand it feels like there's a trend towards know your maker/ custom culture, and in the other the middle class is shrinking and millennials value their devices and experience over objects. I do like the idea of a more experience-based art/ craft movement.
Who is your current celebrity crush?
What art and craft fairs and events are you looking forward to in the coming year? (Besides ours, of course!)
I'm nervous, but I'm doing the Brooklyn Renegade this summer. I've never flown to a craft fair before, so I'll be trying out a new setup. I'm having a huge show at Upper Playground this July though that I'm super pumped about. It's called Shrub Life. I'm using it as an opportunity to study plants.
Favorite word and/or swear word?
I just started a list of favorite words. "Smorgasbord" is a standout.
What are you reading or what podcast are you listening to?
I just got a book (at the Crafty Wonderland Spring Art + Craft Market) from Microcosm Publishing called Mostly True. I guess it's actually a magazine, but it's about hobo graffiti and trains.
Do you carry an umbrella? What is your stance on umbrellas in Portland?
No, but I think if someone is going to be pegged as an outsider for carrying one, that's dumb. Some people just got their hairs did.
Check out numberstar.com for more. We wish you the best Tripper! Congrats on Ruth the Tooth! And good luck at Brooklyn Renegade!
By Joanna Kurimsky
You won't want to miss our Spring Art + Craft Market on Saturday, May 20th! Here's why...
1. The biggest and best selection of handmade goods and art!
We'll have over 225 booths of amazing handmade goods and art from the most talented makers in the Pacific NW and beyond! Come see what all of your favorite artists have been up to, and discover some new talent while you're there! It's the perfect chance to snag the best gifts for Father's Day, upcoming weddings, baby showers, graduations, birthdays, and some goodies for yourself! See the full list of participating vendors on our website here! >>> Invite your friends with our official Facebook invite! <<
2. Fun + Free Craft Projects!
3. Meet Susie Ghahremani of boygirlparty.com!
4. Goodie bags for the first 200 shoppers!
That's right! The first 200 people at the Art + Craft Market will receive a super cute tote bag stuffed with handmade goods and samples from our vendors! The totes are produced by Land Gallery / buyolympia and feature adorable cat artwork by Susie Ghahremani!
5. Warm Fuzzies!
We love our community and are always looking for ways to give back. We think these organizations do great work, so we've invited each of them to have a table at the show to raise awareness for their cause. Our vendors also have the opportunity to donate a portion of their proceeds from the event to any of these non-profits that they choose to support.
- Our EVENT PROGRAM comes out in this week's edition of the Portland Mercury! Grab a copy to see the layout of the show and plan your route! There's also an interview with Susie Ghahremani and a sneak peek at some products you might find at the show! We'll also have extra copies to hand out at the show and in our retail store in case you're not able to grab a copy of the Mercury!
- If you'd like to join in the fun, we're looking for a handful of friendly, helpful folks to assist us during set up on Friday, May 19th or in the DIY Area on Saturday, May 20th. The shifts are short and you will be rewarded with a gift and our eternal love. Email us at email@example.com for details! (Please don't reply to this email.)